Taking My Own Advice … Almost

Thursday 7 October 2010

Now that I’m back into search mode again, I am reading my own material.


I can recall the events and meetings with fellow candidate that served as the source for every post and tool. What stands out for each is either discovering a more practical method for search or how to improve our expectations.

Getting back into search has helped me remember why I gave the guideline to use ideas on the CandidatesChair as a starting place, even though they are all based on real-life experiences.

As much as candidates want to be seen as individuals, the same is true for networking contacts, hiring manager, recruiter, etc., everyone comes with their own set of circumstances.

Before you deliver a pitch, hit send, etc. – take a moment and ask three questions about the person you are addressing.

ONE: How many times will they receive a similar message/pitch?

TWO: What is important to me to know about this candidate?

THREE: How well do they know you?

Let’s use some live ammunition from my current search: My e-mail template for setting up a networking meeting (See “Tools You’ll Need”). I can use the template word for word and know it works pretty darn well – it can work better.

For questions one and two, it’s as simple as adding an extra sentence can cement the connection (e.g. same college, profession, company), establish credibility in area (e.g. specific experience addressing one of their needs), or increase their desire to network with you (e.g. people in your network of interest to them).

For the third question, I may use other means to deliver the message than e-mail, to help boost the level of connection or jog their memory. I’ll use LinkedIn, College Alumni message board, ExecuNet, or with a forwarded article of interest.

The lesson I have relearned is that the advice and tools give you a jump start in creating a message. Asking myself these three questions helps me make it more effective.

Good luck today.

Mark

www.candidateschair.com – Tools and Advice from a Candidate’s viewpoint to help get past job search roadblocks and keep your spirit strong. Please take a visit.


http://TwitJobs.net The Career Community

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer