Polish Still Matters

Monday 15 February 2010

I recently met with two professionals; both are incredibly competent in their fields and offered excellent advice.

The first professional has truly worked on their delivery – sitting up straight, punctuation, self-confidence and keep remarks to the point. As you might expect, the second professional was less so.

Here’s why it matters.

ONE: Effectiveness - The meeting subject was similar in complexity, yet the second meeting took nearly twice as long and only completed 50% of what we set out to complete. I found myself pulling the meeting back on course or clarifying points because of meandering answers.

TWO: My focus – I was so distracted by their behavior, that I found myself thinking of the next meeting, even thought I needed to complete this topic.

THREE: Time – Had it not been mandatory, I would have moved on.

In job search, we focus a good deal of time on the message and content. So simply make sure you are matching that content with delivery.

Delivery is more than words, but the entire package of how you present yourself. This is why I pointed out the different elements above; because each has an effect on the person you meet.

Working on your delivery is where a good friend will come in handy. Just go to coffee, don’t tell them the intent, after a half-hour ask them how you are doing.

Sure, chances are you’ll be on best behavior, but consider it practice. Trust me; having done this exercise, you’ll get some good feedback.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking

Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group:http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268


http://TwitJobs.net




Share

('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer