Moving to a smaller firm – getting ready for success

Tuesday 18 May 2010

A frequent conversation I have with fellow candidates is the desire to seek employment in a smaller firm due to expected greater, ability to influence the outcome and generally less office politics. (Bonus: If you are in a start-up, you can add the expectations to wear jeans and use an Mac vs. a pc).

Having myself both worked in a 60,000 employee firm and a 4 person firm, there is truth in that you have more influence on the outcome.
To help you get prepared for possible networking/interviews, here’s a few of my lessons.

One: You have to be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. My colleagues learned what I was good at and what I was not in quick fashion, and I did the same with them. The sign of a good team is that you figure out how to compensate for one another.

Two: You do not have a big team to back you up. As CFO, I have gone from designing our chart of accounts to pitching for $2 million of investment in the same afternoon. I’ve also designed pages on our website and developed our initial social media strategy. You just need to be ready to work above, at, below and alongside your title.

Three: You need to think like an owner. In a small firm, business gets down to the bare essentials: Client needs, sales levels, spending and available cash/capital. You have to watch each like a hawk and understand what drives each one.

Four: The good news: A small team that talks often. The bad news: You talk often. You need to keep up your outside network to make sure you get an unbiased opinion of your strategy, etc.

Like all my posts, consider my ideas as a place to start. If you start looking at a smaller firm, sit down with a few colleagues who have made the transition to help you prepare.

Good luck this week.

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com – Tools and Advice from a Candidate’s viewpoint to help get past job search roadblocks and keep your spirit strong. Please take a visit.


http://TwitJobs.net Share ('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer