What to do when reality seems suspended

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Here’s a short excerpt of an interview between a Human Resources team member (HR) and myself (MR) regarding a finance role:

HR: “Tell me how you collaborated with operations.”

MR: “I spent 30% of my time in the field at our branch locations, with Account Management or on sales calls. The more time I spent in the field, the better I knew how to support them.”

HR: “You did not use the word ‘collaborate’ in your answer.”

MR: “I know, the answer explaining my actions of collaboration with the operations team.”

HR: “Yes, but I was hoping you used the word ‘collaborate’.”

This enjoyable banter on ‘collaboration’ continued for a few more
minutes. I was told that implying a word was not as powerful as using the word.

As we finally moved on, I remember thinking, “It’s better to imply you’re a knucklehead, then to make it more powerful by proving it”.

I was thinking about myself, as I had just fallen for the oldest and biggest interview temptation: Trying to prove your point, or better said, disprove theirs.

It’s at the moment when the other person seems to suspend reality with a ridiculous argument or statements that can make or break your ability to keep your odds of impressing them remain high.

If the statement misstates your skill or experience, offer a single statement of correction. If they are simply off-base on an issue, then let it go. In either case, just get the conversations moving onto a new topic.

My lesson: No use trying to defuse the bomb that’s gone off – especially if you are the one who set it off.

Hope you have a good week.

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com – Tools and Advice from a Candidate’s viewpoint to help get past job search roadblocks and keep your spirit strong. Please take a visit.





http://TwitJobs.net Share ('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer