Know the complete skill set for your profession

Tuesday 22 December 2009

While it may seem like all those ‘finance guys’ are alike, we’re actually not. Neither are all the ‘marketing folks’, ‘engineering types’, etc. For every profession there is a wide range of skills, yet I’ve found that people often overlook this aspect in their preparation.

I will use myself as an example. I have loads of finance/operational analysis experience, since I had been around so long in finance; I tended to think I knew most of the areas well enough to take a role.

As I prepped for an interview and read the requirements, I realized I had not thought about whether or not I could really handle them (or care to handle).

So what I did was create a list of the different skills required to be a CFO, then rated my level of skill and interest for each skill. It was a real eye opener.

Here is what I created: http://candidateschair.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cfo-vs-controller-candidates-chair.pdf

Three things happened:
One. I was able to identify the skills I needed for the role I sought.

Two. I could figure how to better answer the questions about where I had less experience.

Three. Almost without exception, I identified areas of the role that were needed that the company had not identified.

To get a list of your skills, just Google “Skills needed for marketing”, or whatever your profession or post a question of where you can find a listing to a LinkedIn.

Good luck today! Please have a safe and wonderful holiday.

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking

Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268



http://TwitJobs.net




Share

('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer