Personal Brand – A simple definition

Friday 18 June 2010

After I started my search, “personal brand’ was one of the most bandied about terms that I heard. From what I read or heard, I clearly understood I needed one, but they were a bit light or esoteric on the details.

The best definition of ‘brand’ that I have heard: A brand represents a promise.

When my colleague, Rich Faber, used this definition it really struck me how well it applies to hiring someone: The decision to hire someone is based upon on what you promise to bring.

Your promise: What you offer to deliver to the company, its clients, your colleagues, community and yourself.

Take the brands you use regularly:
• They defined a brand promise that is appealing to a specific audience’s need (e.g. minivans appeal to families who need space to haul more stuff than they care to admit).
• You know the brand promise (reliability, taste, quality, etc.), because they promote it where their target audience goes (e.g. on football games, websites, etc).
• You continue to buy the brand because the delivery matches both you need and what is promoted.

Now let’s apply this to your brand:
• Your brand promise is appealing to the companies where you seek employment because you fulfill a need
• They know your brand through your promotion via your network, professional groups and social media.
• They know your delivery matches the brand through your experience (resume), network (referrals) and content provided in social media.

In looking it at in this manner demystified much of the ‘personal brand’ talk and made it much clearer: Create a simple message on how you fulfill a role then make sure message comes out in your resume and what you tell people in the company.

I’m sure that personal brand coaches can add much more, but I hope this gives you a starting point.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com – Tools and Advice from a Candidate’s viewpoint to help get past job search roadblocks and keep your spirit strong. Please take a visit.



http://TwitJobs.net Share ('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer