What I Believe, What I Need to Believe - After Reading Your Resume

Wednesday 2 June 2010

As a CFO/Finance executive, I’ve looked at and/or produced a couple hundred business cases. To determine the validity of a business case, I’ve developed a simple system to figure out where to ask more questions. I ask myself “What do I believe and what do I need to believe”.

For example, if our company was expanding an existing product line. I would believe they can do that. If they are going to sell it to an entirely new customer set. I would say I need to believe it. So I would spend trying to determine if we understood the new customers’ needs, if the product fit, etc.

Now take your resume and ask the same questions of believe and need to believe, but from a prospective recruiter, HR, or hiring manager viewpoint (or chair).

Most people who read a resume can figure out by a title and company size if the bullet points generally fit the role a person had. They can establish the ‘what they believe’ based on your resume and knowledge of the industry, profession and role.

Generally, what they ‘need to believe’ are the results claimed (e.g. ‘Saved $5 million annually from ….), because unless they were at the same firm, it is tough to validate. But just imagine the power those statements would have if they were validated.

So whether through your referrals, non-confidential copies of past work, 3rd party references, awards, etc. try to line up as much of what needs to be believed as possible. Actions do speak louder than words, so help prove it!

A quick author aside, I have been tremendously humbled by the success of the Candidates Chair site – with over 20,000 visitors from 75 countries, as it has been fellow candidates sharing with one another that have been a major part of the success. So please know you have my thanks and keeping the sharing.

Good luck this week!

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com – Tools and Advice from a Candidate’s viewpoint to help get past job search roadblocks and keep your spirit strong. Please take a visit.


http://TwitJobs.net Share ('DiggThis’)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer