You are Not a Job Description

Friday 21 August 2009

Here’s another one of my mistakes – I described myself by my job description.

In competition for a position, you simply need to be different than the other candidates (Not always better).

If you follow my mistake, you create absolutely no difference. In fact, all I did was playback their job description in your own terms. I was so focused on the requirements of the role – not how my experience has shaped how I delivered upon those requirements.

I find everyone has 3-4 unique characteristics that they use on a daily base to solve issues, work with clients, etc. – these are what you want to promote about yourself.

The characteristics are what people will remember and like about you.

Promote these characteristics in your first sentence, opening overview of yourself, etc. No need to go into detail at this point just set the tone for what sets you apart from the other candidates. Fill in the blanks as you go.

If you don’t know what characteristics to use – ask a friend or colleague.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards
www.candidateschair.com

http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer