Keeping your expectations in check

Wednesday 9 September 2009

One of my biggest challenges is trying not to think like a finance guy (which I am), as it can taint my view of a situation. If I start to think about all the financial issues I’ll need to address – it’s over and I’ve missed the bigger picture.

The same thing can happen in interviews or networking meetings if you set too many expectations in advance.

It’s natural to assume the type of questions to expect, possible networking contacts, work style (based on position), etc. These are great tool for planning, but not as a checklist for the meeting.
To help get the bigger picture about someone, start the meeting about them. Ask them about their background, views on the company’s growth plans, their business, etc. Their answers will most certainly open up new directions that you can take the meeting.

Early in my networking, I asked a lawyer about his background. His career had more anything but typical. He had left being a partner to join a start-up, moved around the country, wrote a book, etc. – nothing like my expectations. Nor were the referrals he could offer – because he had a much different relationship with people than their lawyer. I made ultimately 52 connections from his initial referrals (yes, I tracked my networking – I am a finance guy).

Use your expectations to help you plan. But allow for discovery in the meeting.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards
www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking


http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer