Let People Know How the Story Ends

Thursday 24 September 2009

People love to know how a story ends. So keep those who provided you with leads, networking contacts, etc. with an update on the outcome, thank them again and remind them of what you are seeking.

There are two common questions I talk to people about this idea:

What if the result was a clunker or a no-show? I always sent a follow-up note. If the meeting did not go well as we did not hit it off, I was honest and said as much – since it’s what they probably heard already.

What if the other person was a bit of a dud? I just kept the note to a simple thanks and reminder of the role sought. I figured no use tossing someone under the bus – you never know if you just caught them on a bad day (I once met someone on the day their divorce was finalized – I could not wait to close down that meeting!).

I know that sending these notes adds another layer of work. However, if you think of networking as a long-term relationship building (as we will all likely be in search again), then the hours invested now will pay dividends in both the current and future round of search.

The benefit in the current is another opportunity to connect with someone with a meaningful e-mail versus a general update e-mail.

The bonus to these notes is that there’s no immediate follow-up. I usually did loads of these while watching a football game, etc.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards
www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking


http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer