The 3 Question Test after Networking

Wednesday 14 October 2009

At the conclusion of a networking meeting, my goal for the person I met is be able to answer three questions about me:

1. What are the top 2-3 unique skills I possess?
2. What job am I seeking?
3. What connections do I need?

I adapted this style after asking several people these questions. The result was mixed. So I took a new approach to the meetings, I tried to deliver these items three times.

To eliminate interference to this message, I eliminated details around my career. I found it was unrealistic to expect a busy person (with loads of other items on their mind) to sort out these points as I droned on about how I did this or that.

As I look back at my 600+ networking meetings, no one has ever said to me “I’m looking for a self-starting thought-leader who led a cross-departmental team and saved at least $2 million through an integration project”. I get something like “I want a CFO who has international experience in the service industry”.

Help your contact help you - Keep your message simple and repeat it so it sticks in their mind. Leave the details to your resume, LinkedIn profile, blog, etc.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards

www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking

Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268
Candidates sharing job search tips with one another

http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer