Giving Practical Advice

Monday 5 October 2009

One of the best things you can do for someone else is offer practical advice from your search. With each day you network or use any of the continually changing on-line resources, like TwitJobs or LinkedIn, you are continually learning on how to more effectively seek a job.

Here are a couple tips to help make your advice effective:


ONE: Address their immediate search problems. The best advice is what advances another’s search, so you might as well start with what can help this person.

TWO: Understand their situation. One of the recommendations on my website is to use everything as a starter idea. While there are common issues in search, the circumstances and style is unique to each person.

THREE: Limit your advice to three or four items. While you likely have loads of advice to give, I found from giving too much that people do not listen. It’s not that they are impolite, but they are focused on the advice which addresses the immediate issue. The more significant of a change in their approach your advice represents, then fewer items is better – as you’ve given them a good deal to think about.

FOUR: Share your mistakes. I found my mistakes were invaluable lessons to both myself and colleagues. But also, I found that people responded better to additional advice if I started with a mistake of my own.

As always, nothing too fancy, but these have worked well for me.

Good luck today.

Mark Richards
www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking
Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268

http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer