Asking Good Questions - Some resources I found useful

Thursday 8 October 2009

Once you land the interview, prepping is key. I found that prep includes both for questions you will receive and those you ask. In my experience, those I asked had as much, if not more influence.

There are loads of good books, but I can share that two that I put to good use during my search (you can get either of these at an on-line book shop).

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions - Ron Fry

201 Best Questions To Ask On Your Interview - John Kador

For the questions I would be asked:
I wrote down a few points for each question. Then practiced my answers aloud five times to make the answer sounded good, but also to make it sound natural. Saying the answer is much more powerful than reading to ensure it comes out well.

For the questions I asked:
To prep, I did as much discovery as I could (See "10 Questions to Understand A Company" - under Candidates Tools), then use my questions to help fill in the blanks. No use asking a question that you can get through public sites and networking contacts.

I organize my questions in the following order:
1) Questions about the person I was meeting
2) Questions about the business
3) Questions about the position

I always brought a copy that I openly shared with the people I interviewed - there was not one who did not appreciate the effort and preparation.

http://tinyurl.com/yavsrfw - If you are interested, this is a link back to "Candidates Resources" where I share other books that helped me in my search.

Good luck today!

Mark

www.candidateschair.com

Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking
Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268


http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer