Anyplace, Anytime, Anywhere

Tuesday 6 October 2009

Having looked for a job during this economic downturn, I took the “Anyplace, Anytime, Anywhere” approach which while seems to make sense in its logic, but falls short in its execution. To best illustrate it, here’s how I answered questions during a networking meeting.

Q: What size company are you targeting?
A: My experience could work at any size company.

Q: What industry are you interested in?
A: I have service industry experience, but I’m open to all industries.

Q: Public or Private firm…

You know where this is going. But I’ll tell you where it went: Nowhere.

I came across as either certain of my skills or interests. I gave my networking contact nothing to work on to make connections or help identify possible jobs.

While I gave you my answers, I have sat through countless meetings where I received similar answers.

The lesson here is that while we all seek an opportunity to work and want to keep our options open – remember to focus on 3-4 tangible items that your networking contact can use to help you.

Good luck today!

Mark Richards
www.candidateschair.com
Job Search from a Candidate's Perspective - Advice and tools for search organization and networking

Candidates Chair LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2328268


http://TwitJobs.co.uk - Jobs Fed Into Your Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
TwitJobs Blog Footer